Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I really need a boat shed.

When you are trying to build a boat outside, you need, not just good weather, but some likelihood of good weather for the next few hours.

So with showers making a regular appearance, I set up a "lathe" in my garden shed using a 650 watt drill, and a bolt set into 3/4 inch ply as a chuck.

I quickly gave up trying to use a chisel, perhaps I needed a little instruction, but the chisel simply bit into the wood and bent the bolt.

Attempt number two with a stanley surform round plane worked a lot better. I was able to shape some nice covers for the Center Board pivot.

A Forstner bit allowed me to cut a rebate on the inside to hold a gasket, since this will be oak on oak, a little rubber should make a better seal.

Now it feels like I am making progress again.

Fitting the chine

The next job was fitting the chine log. It's been sitting in place for a while in the poorly fitted notches. A great big todo.

I go to spend a few hours this weekend with a mallet and a few sharp chisels fixing the notches.

One thing I figured out is that while I am drawing things tight, square drive galvansied deck screws are way better than bronze. Bronze screws are way too expensive and strip too easily. For the gluing, I will wax the deck screws, bond the lot with epoxy and then replace the screws with bronze. I have about two frames to go on one side and I can start gluing.

It's been a while....

It's been a while.... I was doing exams, so it most of my "free" time was spent studying. Now that that's over for another few months, I've made some progress on the boat.

I have glued the CB case to the Keel. This fun, as you have to glue the cb case to the keel, and to the frames that cross the keel for and aft the CB case. It has to be strong, as the CB case must not leak, and will be one of the attachment point for the main sheet. Once the epoxy clock starts ticking, you can't hang about.

The CB case and bedlogs slot into the keel like a through tenon, just a very very big tenon. I slid the for and aft frames out a few inches, coated the CB case with thickened epoxy and slotted it into place. A few clamps brought it up snug. Then I pasted the ends where it would meet the frames with more epoxy and slid them back into place. These frames also needed epoxy where they joined the keel. It's all dry now and looks rock solid. Bronze screws will follow.

Then I glued and screwed the keel and the remaining frames, and glued and bolted the keel to the stem. (the bolts are home made from bronze bar a good quality die cuts threads in bronze without too much trouble. Don't cheap out and buy a cheapo tap and die set. Just buy the sizes you need. Life is hard enough without cheap tools)