Monday, July 21, 2008

The angle of the chine

I used a bar clamp, and a cord to a bucket full of water to hold the chine at the correct angle. A towel soaked with a few kettles of boiling water gave the oak enough flexibility to twist.
A Japanese pull saw really is the best thing since sliced wood.

I was pretty happy with the result.
The chine on the other side is another days work.

Realising that It would be easier to do the slot for the Center board case now rather than later, I took a break from steaming. I used the template that I made up earlier and a cheap and cheerful JCB 1/2" router. I just used a simple trim bit without a bearing (the shaft acts as a bearing). I cut out most of the centre of the slot first with a jigsaw. This made for less routing and less sawdust), but it did mean that some of the cut was lifting the grain. Not usually a good plan . Luckily Epoxy, and the fact that this will be well out of sight will save the day.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Steaming the Chines

I had planned to use a drain pipe. But a little reading led me to the inconvient truth about PVC. It starts to melt if you run steam through it, and it collapses under its own weight. So this is Aluminium Air Conditioning ducting. It arrives compressed concertina like and you simply stretch it.

Without a little insulation, it would not keep the wood hot, so some cheap attic insulation and a bit of cord and we are set. I just used a steam wallpaper stripper as a steam source and left if cook while I got on with some other bits and pieces.

Here you see the two chines clamped roughly in place. There's still work to do, but progress is progress.
Oh, yes, heavy gardenning gloves are your friend here, the Aluminium is hot, the steam is hot and the oak is hot.