Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Painting has Started

The heavy filling is done, the first sanding is done.

I've started the undercoating. The stuff is a high build 2 part epoxy undercoat. It's got some manner of solvent in it cause it stinks something nasty. As soon as I opened the tin, I went straight for the Organic Respirator. Spread a litre of that stuff out and you really don't want to be leaning over it and breathing it in.

My set of Charts for the local waters arrived. Now I've started buying sailing stuff, not building stuff.

That alone is a big step.

Friday, June 03, 2011

Upside Down again

Thanks to Andy & Caroline for helping me to flip the boat and to Andy and Nick for helping me to pop it up on a stand.

The last sheet of fibre glass is done. Now I'm sanding and painting.

The mast has it's first coat of Varnish, and before I flipped the boat I added various fitting like the eyes for the main sheet traveller, and the jib sheet leads.

There's 3 liters of EasyFair fairing compound on the way, I had not realised how much the glass cloth would "print" through the epoxy, and mixing up your own fairing compound is dusty, messy and expensive.

The todo list is getting very short these days.

In truth, It could go in the water without being painted, but I've waited this long.