Monday, January 28, 2008

I now have a scaffold

You know, in spit of reading Steve Henry's advice on the GlenL Forums, I went and built the scaffold and then looked at the the frame sitting by the wall and thought "Ah fiddlesticks*, Steve warned me not to do that.".

One of the frames has a cross piece and needs to be in place before you screw the scaffold together. A little bit of dissasembly followed.

I now have a scaffold, the transom is mounted, one frame is on the scaffold. I need another good sunday to position the frames properly. Then we get our kitchen back.

I built the scaffold about 6 inches higher than the diagram, to make it easier to work on.

I suspect that I will need to shim some of the frames to make sure that everything is level, since there are a few individualities in them, but that should be easy enough.

Pic's will follow once I have all the frames set up.

* "Fiddlesticks" may not have been the exact word that came to mind.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Inch by Inch....

Cutting the Centerboard Case Logs went well. The bandsaw coped admirably, those dinky 3 wheel models may not be perfect, but they are better than a Jigsaw. I wandered more than the saw blade, but that's what course sandpaper is for.

The wood for the scaffold had arrived. I have also built a simple water level out of a 5 meter clear plastic tube (ebay), a plastic bottle, and some silicon sealant. Add some soap to the water to reduce the meniscus, and it's more accurate than I'll ever be. Total Cost, a whole lot less than a high end laser level, and perfectly visible in daylight.

I now have everything I need to start assembling the frames.

On the next good weather day, I'll be cutting the scaffold. The verticals will be pointed and simply pounded into the garden. I guess that once I am finished building the boat, I will have to dig and reseed that section of the grass.

This will get all the frames out of the kitchen at last. (Thanks for being so patient Caroline.)