Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Great big holes

 I wanted a hatch, so that I could access the space under the fore deck. I figured out the size I needed and then spent about a week trying to work up the courage to cut the hole.

I drilled 2 holes through from underneath, right beside the each of the two beams so that I knew exactly where to cut.

I marked out the 300mm square, twice. And then set to work with my jigsaw.

I reinforced the sides of the hole that were not over beams with offcuts of sapele, epoxied underneath, and then bolted the hatch in place with a bit of silicon sealant.



1 comment:

mait said...

Hey
Not sure if you remember but I wrote you a couple of years back asking some question abot the glen -l14 build. I also started building it about four years ago but as you also said to me if i remember correctly that "kids came along". Well that is also the case for me. :) Anyway, I took up the project again and I just finished the building form. The frames and other bigger pieces from the drawings are almost done. I could ask for Your advice on a million topics but right now there is one think that makes me scratch my head a bitand it regards the centerboard case. The notches in the frames dedicated to fit the trunk seem to be a bit narrower than the case itself (with bedlogs). Is the notch on the frame drawings kind of an estimate and I have to cut it as wide as the trunk turns out? If i build the case 1:1 as the drawing indicates then it won't fit in the notches (assuming that the bedlogs also should fit in the notches with the case). I don't mind cutting the notches a bit wider but i'm worried that it might effect assembling the keel later on. Anyway, I would love to get some advice from you on this and if it's OK then i probably will have some other questions in the future as well. Since i can't find any contact information in this blog, I would be happy to communicate via other channels such as facebook ore something similar. You can find me on facebook by my name probably: Mait Rätsep (maitratsep@gmail.com), Estonia. Thanks, Mait